Monday, November 3, 2008

My First Halloween!

In my country, we don't have a holiday like Halloween, so I want to talk about my first Halloween in the U.S. I hadn't known about Halloween well and celebrated it before I came here. However, I have heard that so many people celebrate Halloween every year in the U.S. I was very excited and I looked forward to some things. At first, I wanted to try to wear costumes! It is a main reason why I was interested in Halloween. In Japan, we have customs to wear yukata or kimono on special day, however we don't have occasions to wear costumes or masks. If I wear some costumes in Japan, everybody regards me as a strange person. It was very hard to choose one from so many kinds of costumes. Finally I chose a costume like a magician. I liked it very much, so I was happy to wear my favorite costume. Second, I wanted to curve pumpkins and also I had never seen real pumpkin curved. On Halloween, we had a party in Faner Hall and I tried to curve a pumpkin. First, I drew the picture of face of pumpkin. After that, I curved it with friends. It was not hard, but it's difficult for me. At last, we had a contest of curving pumpkins. Our pumpkin wasn't selected but it became a good memory. Finally, I wanted to join Halloween party. I have heard that people who wear various kinds of costumes gather at bar, so I wanted to see them. On Halloween, I went to a bar with friends with wearing costumes. Then, there were a lot of people and almost all of them wear costumes! It was so funny and I took many pictures. Also, I talked with many people and danced with friends there. Thus, I could enjoyed Halloween than I had predicted. This year, I have experienced Halloween in the U.S. for the first time and it was an amazing event. I wish the event like Halloween in Japan.

1 comment:

tom said...

Yui- There are some pictures of the pumpkin carving party here: here....maybe you can see yours!